276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Iggy Peck, Architect (The Questioneers): 1

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The rhyming text is clever with some interesting rhymes and vocabulary: Good Gracious, Ignacious; build rhymed with killed, mention rhymed with suspension; and Quebec rhymed with Peck. Fortunately for us, Roberts has not traveled so far back that he has failed to create a nicely multi-ethnic classroom. He’s been an architect since he was two, when he built a great tower—in only an hour—with nothing but diapers and glue! Spelling Seeds have been designed to complement Writing Roots by providing weekly, contextualised sequences of sessions for the teaching of spelling that include open-ended investigations and opportunities to practise and apply within meaningful and purposeful contexts, linked (where relevant) to other areas of the curriculum and a suggestion of how to extend the investigation into home learning. Iggy Peck is a child who once “built a great tower—in only an hour—with nothing but diapers and glue.

The story we find here is entirely reliant on liking your protagonist and appreciating his struggle.No one is better at building than Iggy, who once erected a life-size replica of the great Sphinx on his front lawn! Marshmallow toothpick structures are always a hit with kids, and these heart-themed marshmallows make the activity perfect for Valentine's Day! His parents are proud of their son, though sometimes surprised by some of Iggy's more inventive creations (like the tower he built out of used diapers).

A vital text, not only to ignite passions about design and technology, but to learn about problem solving and perseverance. The pictures highlight both architecture and fashion of the late 1950's, pleasing to both children and adults. I would argue that his final construction project is more structural engineering than architecture, but quibbling hairsplits doesn't matter. There's a lady with a beehive hairdo and a beauty spot on the cover of this book - a sure-fire signifier of "quirky," perhaps even "offbeat".The illustrations far surpass the text - my children enjoyed the book with me, because we talk about the pictures, but it's not one they pick up on their own. Andrea Beaty is the author of many beloved children’s books, including the bestselling Questioneers series, I Love You Like Yellow, Happy Birthday, Madame Chapeau, and One Girl. Children's book of the week: Ada Twist and the Perilous Pantaloons by Andrea Beaty, illustrated by David Roberts".

Greer had once suffered an unfortunate incident in a very tall building, and the result is that she felt from there on in that, "all building-lovers were nuts. We have updated our Privacy Policy, effective June 29, 2020, to clarify how we collect and process your personal data. Ada Twist, Scientist, the companion picture book featuring the next kid from Iggy Peck's class, is available in September 2016. If any of you know and love Harry Chapin's song about the teacher and the artistic child, "Flowers Are Red" you will love this book--same idea, but more cheerful! In this approach to literacy, reading the words is only one of many learning stimuli you can glean from a book.He uses anything he can find around his house or classroom to satisfy his insatiable passion for building. But, I thought the word choices were delightful and sounded fun to say and I never felt Beaty talked down to her readers. I mean, the combined efforts of author Andrea Beaty and illustrator David Roberts make this particular occupation look remarkably cool.

And hey, if you want to use it to convince the youth of America that architecture is a fun and interesting occupation, by all means go ahead. I thought the illustrations fitted this story quite well, and for the most part the rhymes were good - only a few times did Beaty "stretch" for the rhyme.Clutter-Free Classroom is the place where elementary teachers get the time-saving tips, ideas and resources they need to make teaching easier and more enjoyable. No, by age two he'd discovered how to construct towers out of diapers (interesting, if not particularly sanitary).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment