276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Witness

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

My only issue came in the way of the epilogue. When I read an epilogue, I expect and look forward to an update of the characters and what has become of them and their lives. This epilogue served as just another chapter in the book, updated only hours from the exciting ending. With the turmoil that plagued Abigail’s life, I had hoped to see what the future held for her and Brooks, and I was somewhat disappointed. However I highly recommend this book, not only for fans of Nora Roberts, but for lovers of romantic suspense. Asking for recommendations from friends is always a great way to discover a good romance novel and romance novel author. The impetus for writing came during a heavy snowstorm in the year 1979. Snowed in, she began to put ideas to paper, and these notes soon became a manuscript for what would become a later novel. She soon had six completed manuscripts that she submitted, without success to, Harlequin Publishing, being rejected multiple times. She found success with the newly formed Silhouette Publishing with her first novel, Irish Thoroughbred, being published in 1981.

The romance between Abigail and Brooks adds an additional layer of depth to the narrative. Their growing connection is filled with genuine emotion and vulnerability, as they navigate the challenges posed by Abigail’s elusive past. Roberts skillfully captures the nuances of their relationship, depicting the trust, respect, and unwavering support they offer one another. The heroine Elizabeth Fitch/Abigail Lowery is such an unusual heroine type. A genius daughter of a neurosurgeon, her entire life was mapped out for her. In a fit of rebellion at age 16, she becomes a witness to a gruesome murder by a Russian mofia organization in Chicago. Believing she can trust the system to protect her, she nearly loses everything. So, our heroine meets up with the small-town sheriff who also happens to be a hottie and he is intrigued by her.

Publication Order of The MacGregors Books

But, first of all, the woman has published hundreds of novels, but only written about 20. I'm convinced she keeps plot, body, personality types in a closet, strictly labeled by trope. I could forgive her that. But she's also horribly sexist. She's incorrigible. with it. Brooks Gleason is the town Chief of Police. And he is intrigued by Abigail. He keeps showing up at her house unannounced and breaking down her defenses. Eventually Abigail does give in, knowing that this is something that can’t last. But she has never experienced romance, love. Never dated. She has so much trouble expressing herself but the things she says are just so completely endearing. Her awkwardness and naivety make her adorable. I loved Brooks and Abigail together. They were exactly what each other needed. But, Brooks knows Abigail is hiding something. He wants her to trust him enough to let him in. And can Abigail dare to dream of a future with Brooks, in this lovely town? Does she have the courage to finally face her past and put it to rest? Brooks just knows in his heart that Abigail is running from something and may need protection. He sets out to break down Abigail's barriers and eventually succeeds almost too well.

This book has a great HEA where the girl gets the guy and the bad guys go down...but I was a little worried at the end...whew!

Publication Order of In Death Short Stories/Novellas

It’s hard to deny the talent and mass appeal of Nora Roberts considering The Witness is her 200th book. I mean...wow! That is quite an impressive achievement and a boon for romance readers. I consider myself a fan of hers, and I especially loved her Bride Quartet series and the few J.D. Robb In Death books that I’ve read. Some of her books tend to be a little bit too generic and plain vanilla for my taste, but I occasionally enjoy their comfort like good old vanilla ice cream, even if it doesn’t make them all that memorable. The barb in the arrow of childhood suffering is this: its intense loneliness, its intense ignorance." Nora Roberts has been a very popular name in the literature industry and has acquired many fans and lovers since she started writing novels in 1979. With how popular her romance novels became it didn’t take long for them to get many movie and TV adaptations. Because of how long Nora Roberts has been writing, many fans started to wonder how many of her books were adapted into movies. Here is everything you need to know about the movies based on Nora Robert’s novels! How Many Movies Based on Nora Roberts’ Books Are There? Since the "Girl With The Dragon Tattoo",strong intelligent tech/geek women have been the female protagonist do jour.... I guess it's no surprise that Roberts has her own entry...in the form of Lizzy ( aka Abagail), a young woman with Mensa level intelligence who, as a teen,accidentally connects with the Russian mob, goes into witness protection, escapes the bad guys and is on the run from everyone for a decade.` etc etc etc.

Heat level: Mild. They have some mild tension, chemistry, and scenes -- but not so much it takes away from the story. Elizabeth Fitch is a sixteen years old super intelligent girl with a very controlling mother who let loose one (..ONE single) night. A night that change her life for ever. Two cruel murders, one of her new friend. Guilty men, Russian ancestors that all belongs to the mob in Chicago. From that night is Elizabeth a hunted victim.... she is the witness.Elizabeth Fitch has an eidetic memory, is a genius, is only 16, is unloved by her mother, and is ready to break out of the prison that is her life. And, break-out she does. Unfortunately, it ended up being the worst thing she could have ever done, and things will only get worse, so badly in fact, that she has to hide and assume a new identity. In her stunning 200th novel, #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts proves why no one is better when it comes to flawlessly fusing high-stakes suspense with red-hot romance" ( Booklist , starred review). As for Abigail, I think loving Brooks helped her to grow in crucial ways. For her to know it was okay not to understand the rules for everything, and to just go with the flow emotionally in relationships that were based on mutual trust. I think the O'Hara/Gleason clan will be good for Abigail, but I think I would find them overwhelming at times. They are quite pushy! I can't imagine Abigail not feeling that way based on her previous familial frame of reference.

In the next scene, we get the clichéd Other Woman. The other woman is usually a beautiful blonde, and she is either a bitchy ex-wife, or a clinging ex-girlfriend who won't let go. In this case it's the clinging ex-girlfriend. I hate the beautiful blonde cliché. Being blond and beautiful does not make a woman evil.

Publication Order of Key Trilogy Books

In her stunning 200th novel, #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts proves why no one is better “when it comes to flawlessly fusing high-stakes suspense with red-hot romance" ( Booklist, starred review). The first few chapters are very well written (about the heroine in her teens) but the hero does not appear until much later and then their relationship develops quite fast. I actually dozed off in the middle of their first bedroom scene!! For me, Elizabeth Fitch is along the lines of Lisbeth Salander (TGWTDT). IQ off the charts, even though Lisbeth has to deal with her hardships, Elizabeth has her crosses to bear as well. That’s where the lines blur, yet their inner core of strength shine through, which puts them both in my top spot for female characters. At the heart of “Identity” lies the exploration of personal identity and the power of self-discovery. Abigail’s journey from a woman plagued by amnesia to one who reclaims her true self is both captivating and empowering. Roberts deftly portrays the complexities of identity formation, highlighting how our past experiences shape us and how we can overcome adversity to forge our own path.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment