276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Tales from the Cafe: 2 (Before the Coffee Gets Cold)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I find the characters not as engaging and interesting even though their stories sound interesting enough. Maybe their stories do not do much for me personally. Working Within Limits in "Before the Coffee Gets Cold" – Chicago Review of Books". chireviewofbooks.com . Retrieved 2021-09-08. don't mind me, just adding more and more books to my currently reading because all of my library loans are coming in at once and making me into a juggler except with books.

This is quite a short book, so it’s hard to say much about it when trying to avoid spoilers, but yet again this book just filled my soul. I adored the atmosphere Kawaguchi created around the café, how he expanded on the lore of the café itself, as well as on the history of those who work there. On top of this beautiful exploration we are also introduced to new people and are absorbed into new tales. Throughout this book, whilst I was reading it I really felt a sense of peace, of beauty. I cried, as with the first one, when I finished reading it. It’s such a touching and well written plot. And I love the path that Kawaguchi went down for this book. Why is a gynecologist's clinic a woman's domain, to be untouched by a man? Is it too unmanly to hold your DYING wife's hands when she's carrying your child? My guy refuses to even go the gynec's appointment with his wife!

In Alzheimer’s disease, the subtle and sporadic deterioration of patients brain function will be a very arduous phase in their partners, and their family members life, and it is one of the rare situations in Medical Science where the spouse and family members suffer more than the patient (The author depicted it perfectly through the characters Fusagi and Kohtake.) The truth just wants to come flowing out. This is especially the case when you are trying to hide your sadness or vulnerability.'

Meet more wonderful characters in the next captivating novel in the Before the Coffee Gets Cold series, Before We Say Goodbye, releasing November 14, 2023!

Complete this captcha to connect to Foyles

The short novel arguably occupies a space known as ‘magic realism’ as Kawaguchi adds fantastical elements to the familiar space of the coffee shop. Before the Coffee Gets Cold also speaks to the modern fascination with time travel writing as popularised by H.G. Wells’ novel The Time Machine. Overall I have enjoyed the two books in this series, hopefully if there is a third book the author can just say "the rules were explained" rather than listing them out one by one every single time. Toshikazu Kawaguchi’s 2013 novel is an exploration of time travel and the art of coffee making. Before the Coffee Gets Cold was translated from Japanese to English by Geoffrey Trousselo. The changes in the café are satisfying.While reading this book,you will feel that you are a part of the character’s happiness and sorrow.Kazu’s life is more elaborately depicted here too.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment