276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mutti – Passata, Sieved Tomatoes, 400g, (Pack of 12)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Tomato Passata is an ingredient that I’m quite fond of, one I use regularly in tomato-based sauces. Though increasing in popularly, it’s not as well known as crushed tomato and tomato paste. So I thought it would be helpful to do a little 101 on Tomato Passata – what it is, how to use it, why I love it so much! What isTomato Passata? Here are Italian Meatballsin a sauce made with Passata. The sauce is only simmered for 10 minutes, and you can see how much there is! Add the tin of Mutti cherry tomatoes, adding a bit of water to the tin to ensure you remove all the contents, and then the Mutti Passata. The interests of these fields are linked with the interests of the politicians and people who own the most important companies in Italy,” said Valeria Sallustio, former president of Finis Terrae, an Italian NGO that worked closely with the workers in Nardó.

Add the kalamata olives and salt and pepper to taste, and remove the lid of the pan for the last 10 minutes of cooking. We know in the south of Italy there are some situations that are not in line but we can’t do the work – it’s not our responsibility to verify what happens in the region but we do ask our suppliers to respect human rights,” he said. “We don’t pay less than the normal price.” Zoe Maddison, spokesperson for the British Retail Consortium (BRC), which represents Tesco and Sainsbury’s among other major UK supermarkets, said: “This is a tragic case and we expect the Italian authorities to carry out a full investigation. The gangmaster or “caporalato” system is rife across the Italian agricultural sector where migrants – both legal and illegal – are organised into informal labour groups that are hired by Italian landowners to harvest their crops.

While workers make an average of €30 a day in the Puglia region, they can expect to lose up to half of that just to pay for food, transport, water and a cut to their gangmaster. The file accuses Italian company owner Giuseppe Mariano and Sudanese gangmaster Mohammed Elsalih of manslaughter. The preliminary investigation has now concluded, and a judge will decide whether the case should go to trial. If you’re in American or Canada, the best substitute for tomato passata is tomato puree.Tomato puree is very similar or identical in the way it’s made, and recipes I’ve made using tomato puree came out the same as when made using tomato passata. But in this case there was also manslaughter. That guy would not have died if there had been a doctor’s visit. The violation of the safety provisions on the job was flagrant.”

years ago, passata was relatively hard to find in Australia. Nowadays, it’s sold at major supermarkets (Coles and Woolworths) in the pasta section, as well as fresh produce stores like Harris Farms. Of course you can find many varieties at Italian delis too. When I arrived in Puglia I discovered the gangmaster system – conditions were inhuman – they were ghettos that were like concentration camps,” he said. Add the diced garlic, onion, carrot, celery and rosemary to the pan and set the pan to medium-low. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables soften. A spokesman for Conserve Italia, which produces the Cirio brand of tinned tomatoes that is sold by Tesco, said it requires all its suppliers agree to “respect” their workers and the company’s ethical code, and that the company cut ties with the supplier involved after they were made aware of Muhammed’s death.Tomato Sauce (US) –Tomato passata is not the same as tomato sauce in the US (which is pureed tomato like passata but with flavourings added). Note: Tomato Sauce in Australia is like ketchup. In America, Tomato Sauce is liked a canned version of tomato passata. Tomato Passata is just plain tomato that’s been pureed and passed through a sieve to strain out any chunks so it’s perfectly smooth. It doesn’t have any additional flavourings, but sometimes has salt added. The welfare of all people who work in our supply chains is of key importance to us, and BRC members will investigate any allegations of malpractice.” To MAKE Tomato Passata using tomato paste, see this recipe – Tomato Paste Substitute for Tomato Passata and Canned Tomato. After years of campaigning and organising a mass strike against the gangmasters, a strengthened law outlawing the caporalato system came into effect last year.

Conserve Italia has since said in a statement that it plans to sue the suppliers for damages “to protect its reputation as the most ethical company in this business”. I love using tomato passata, and you can see all my recipes made using passata here. Here are a few examples:

Specialities

The companies named in the file are not liable and stress the extent to which they encourage their suppliers to treat their workers ethically. My preferred passata brand is Mutti, from Italy. I find their tomatoes are sweeter and less sour than other brands, with a a rich tomato taste. I also hear Mutti is very popular in Italy – an endorsement if there ever was one! Mutti is not much more expensive than any other brand over here. Best Substitute for Tomato Passata

Though more widely available nowadays, and around the same price as canned tomato, I sill regularly get asked questions about it so I thought it was worth doing a little FAQ.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment