276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ikea KARLBY worktop, 186x3.8 cm, oak/veneer

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Mixing IKEA ALEX drawers and a simple countertop to make a desk? Genius. I loved this idea the first time I saw it.

I think my desk setup with a KARLBY walnut veneer countertop is pretty standard, but it’s cool if you like it! I also do some remote work, and it was nice having the option to get the ALEX drawers with the file cabinet drawer at the bottom. I considered buying a standing desk at first, but they were too expensive. I wasn’t sure if I would actually use the standing feature. I chose the ALEX drawers because their flat tops and bottoms make it easy to keep things level without needing to buy additional legs. I ended up getting two of the IKEA KARLBY countertops so I could create the corner desk. Measurements of each countertop before being cutI also wanted a desk with enough space for my two 32″ curved monitors and my D&D books. This way, I can have a space for work and for fun.

Storage & organisation Furniture Textiles Kitchenware & tableware Kitchens Lighting Decoration Rugs, mats & flooring Beds & mattresses Baby & children Smart home Bathroom products Laundry & cleaning Plants & plant pots Home electronics Home improvement Outdoor living Food & beverages Christmas Shop Shop by room ALEX drawers are space-saving. With their simple, thoughtful design and generous depth of 58 cm (23 in), the drawers provide ample storage and simplify cable management.

It offers exactly what I’d expect from my workstation. It’s heavy and stable with enough space on the desk itself and a lot of storage area as well. The natural color and grain of wood adds warmth to your kitchen decor. Walnut gets lighter in color with age. It has a rich variation in color and a decorative, curved grain pattern. I chose the IKEA ALEX drawers as I liked the contrast the white provided, and also because they were a proven and well-liked desk setup by other people. I used two legs to support the middle part of the table. Without it, the heavy countertop would bend like a banana. I saw many people online using ALEX drawers, which seemed to work well at a reasonable price, so I didn’t really consider any other options. Credit: Toby

I needed storage, so the ALEX drawers were a must-have, and I wanted a lot of desk space, so I opted for an L-shaped setup. The main goal of my desk setup was to create a beautiful ambience. I wanted to showcase things I love so that I could see them every day.

I had seen them in my office when I started working there and liked their deep dimensions and ample storage space. Credit: Thatoneguy_420 This desk setup was originally set up when I was working from home in London before the pandemic, and then I had to share the workspace with my partner once the pandemic hit. There weren’t any other options I had considered other than ALEX. It’s used very often online, and I think that’s because it’s both aesthetically pleasing and functional.

The top is not fixed to the Alex drawers in anyway, but the Alex drawers are 36cm wide by 58cm deep, double that up and the surface area your desk is resting on is way bigger than most desks. Remember though, why don’t standard desks have such substantial support under the desk table top? Because it eats into your under desk leg room, so bear that in mind if you are thinking of using a smaller length that the 186cm counter top.

The IKEA KARLBY countertop I have is 74 inches long and 25 5/8 inches deep, and the total height should be around 29 inches. ALEX drawers are versatile. They come in various sizes and colours. You can either use them on their own or mount the worktop on top of drawers, serving as desk legs. KARLBY tabletop is a popular choice for this. Another advantage with this production technique is that you can use the whole tree; the stem as surface, and scrap bits – curvy, bent branches and small twigs – for the particleboard on the inside. The end result is a worktop that is every bit as genuine as solid wood, only more stable and more resistant to humidity.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment